A blog is an excellent tool of building “You Inc.” Blog is nothing but a website that can be easily updated and intended to influence or inform. There are certain factors, which you must avoid while blogging for attracting the visitors to the blog, garner trust, increase revenues and heighten the exposure.
1) Unoriginal content – People never visit a site that does not have any interesting matter. In your blog, you must create original content and not regurgitated. Original content explores new ideas and provide a fresh angle or added context to the existing subject and is imaginative. If you lack creativity, then examine the subjects just beyond news and tell informative stories through offline experiences. Try to be unique, distinguished and pioneering. Also, avoid buzzwords and tired clichés that make the reading dull.
2) Inconsistent Updates – Be up to date and liberal with the weekly postings. Loyal readers usually read and return to the blogs for fresh and new content. Do not bother if you do not update the blog 3-4 times a week. Blogs take lot of time and if any, a little capital. If you can efficiently, use blogging as a business opportunity, then all the time spent on it is worthy.
3) Professional dress – Be personable in writing and admit to the idiosyncrasies, which are enjoyable to read. Avoid sharing any matter that can make the reader feel uncomfortable. Embrace the rational subjectivity by dressing business casual during blogging.
4) Ulterior motives – Join the club when you have any cross-promotional ideas or additional business ventures. However, do not let your integrity down by marketing your own economic interests that are of no value to the audience. Be genuine and authentic while blogging. Avoid over favorable commentary on your own business. This does not mean that you should not comment on your own ventures, but be upfront and honest while telling about it and avoid the PR fluff.
5) Giving in – State a formulated opinion and get controversial with the writing. Use push buttons, be snarky and get facetious whenever applicable. Disagreement should be in a way of encouraging progressive thinking rather than inducing an angry response. Take time to comment on a sensitive topic, and waiting for a 1-2 days before publishing the thoughts can make the heat to cool at the writing time.
6) Long post entries – It is a known fact that the online readers have a shorter attention than that of the print media. A typical reader stays on a given site only for 1-2 minutes. So, be straight to the point, avoid multi topic and focus on the bit-sized information. Shorter posts allow you to blog more. The more, the number of posts, the more people can find on the blog, thereby leading to an increase in the blog traffic and better SEO.
7) Absolute rule – Be democratic in the posts. However, opposing or critical the comments are, be sure not to delete them however tempting. Doing so will undermine your credibility.
8 ) Poorly written titles – The fact is that the blog with the most descriptive title enjoys the most traffic. Descriptive titles are simple and straightforward, they are neither cryptic nor ambiguous.
By avoiding all these, you can ensure that the blog can give the audience something worth exposure and reading.
Author is from SelfTestEngine which is Exam Preparation Tool for IT Certification Exams like IBM 000-M221 practice exams and Eccouncil EC1-350 questions and answers. Visit to download Free SelfTestEngine and Demos for Self Preparation.